Although this recipe is not a traditional, made for years in the Indian kitchen kind of recipe, I decided to post it on this blog and not in my experimental one ( in spite of something that I made up and improvised in my kitchen). The reason for posting it here is only because this uses the very commonly found ingredients from the Indian kitchen, has oodles of Indian flavours in it and it is indeed made by an Indian…me!!
Another one pot rice dish which is not only quick & easy to make, very nutritious but also a treat to your taste buds.
This is ideal for kids and lunch boxes or when you have to quickly whip up a rice to serve to guests. You could even use the leftover rice to make this.
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup , cooked
- Oil or Ghee – 1 tbsp ( ghee recommended)
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Black cumin or Shahi jeera – ¼ tsp
- Mixed dry nuts – handful, crushed / chopped coarsely ( I have used cashew nuts, almonds, Walnuts, peanuts & brazil nuts )
- Cooking onion – 1 small , finely chopped
- Thin green chilli – 1, slit length wise and deseeded ( optional )
- Black pepper – crushed as per taste
- Salt – as per taste
- Curry leaves – few torn ( optional )
- Lemon juice – few drops ( optional )
- Carrot – 1 small , shredded ( optional or you can use whatever vegetable is available )
- Green peas – 1 tbsp ( optional)
- Dried fenugreek leaves or Kasoori methi – ½ tsp ( optional )
Procedure for making it
- In a heated frying pan with ghee or oil, sizzle the cumin seeds along with the black cumin. Immediately add the crushed nuts and sauté on low heat until the nuts get fried.
- Add the curry leaves, green chilli and onion with a pinch a salt and sauté till the onions are translucent. Add the crushed pepper along with the vegetables and on medium heat with a lid on cook till the vegetables are soft. It took me about 3-4 mins.
- Add the cooked rice, salt and methi greens. Stir well. If needed sprinkle a few drops of water and with the lid on let the flavours mix for another minute. Take off the heat.
- Add the lemon juice before serving and enjoy warm.