This is a simple tangy salad recipe which is very common in the south of India popularly known as ‘Kossmalli’. A very colourfully vibrant & healthy salad which can be prepared in a jiffy. The carrot can be replaced with fresh cucumber too.
- Carrots – 1 cup grated
- Moong dal – 1/4th cup the washed variety, cleaned and rinsed (this is yellow in colour and not the whole green one. )
- Thin green chillies – 1 long slit or as per your preference of heat
- Fresh coriander leaves – handful, chopped fine
- Grated coconut or desiccated coconut – 2 to 3 tbsp
- Coconut oil or cooking oil – 2 tsp
- Brown mustard seeds – 1/8th tsp
- Asafoetida or hing – a pinch ( if you want it completely gluten free, please do avoid this )
- Lemon juice – as per taste
- Salt – as per taste
- Curry leaves – a few, torn (optional. I didn’t use this as didn’t have any )
Procedure to make it
- In a large salad bowl, mix the grated carrots, moong dal, lemon juice, salt , slit green chilli and grated coconut together
- In a heated frying pan with the oil, add mustard seeds and when it splutters, take it off the flame, add the hing and empty the fragranced dressing oil into the salad. Toss well everything along with the coriander leaves.
Let it sit in the juices for 10-15 mins before serving.
Alternatively if you want to serve it immediately, pre-soak the moong dal washed in water 10 mins and add get the rest of the salad together and and add the drained dal into the salad while serving.